Nueva Ocotepeque, Honduras
None – Free Room and Board
My Little Red House Bilingual School was founded in 1998 by local mothers. MLRH is a bilingual school with students from first grade to eighth grade. Half the classes are taught in Spanish and half in English. Classes are 5 days a week from 7am to 1pm. Though all volunteers are required to use the textbooks and syllabi for each class as a guide, most importantly, volunteers are encouraged to use their own teaching styles, methods, ideas and creativity for their classes. Teachers have the freedom to design and conduct lessons as they see appropriate using skills, knowledge, and personal qualities to develop lessons.
All teachers are responsible for the following:
1. Creation of class lesson plans based on the recommended textbooks, and creation of syllabi for each class
2. Development, assignment, and grading of daily homework, quizzes and projects
3. Development and grading of quarterly study guides and quarterly exams
4. Recording of attendance, homework, participation and behavior, quizzes and projects and quarterly exams
5. Meet with parents when requested.
No fee to volunteer. Room and board (three meals a day, free purified water) provided by the Penman family. Volunteer will live with the family and other volunteers as a home-stay type accommodation.
Where: Nueva Ocotepeque, Honduras. Located in the westernmost part of Honduras, Ocotepeque is a quiet, safe town 30 minutes from Guatemala and 15 minutes from El Salvador. It is a peaceful, picturesque town surrounded by lush, green mountains.
Looking for responsible, motivated, and ambitious people to teach English. Must be a native English speaker. Teaching experience is not required, but it is a plus. It is not necessary that you speak Spanish. Couples welcome.
Contracts will be for a minimum of 6 months, preferance given to 1 year committments.
Carol Penman, Founder & Principal