To legally teach in Hungary, you need to find a employer that will apply for a WORK PERMIT on your behalf. Once a work permit is issued, it will be sent to you together with your contract and a work visa application. You will then have to apply for a WORK VISA at a Hungarian consulate in your country.
Once your work visa is approved, you will then need to apply for a RESIDENCE PERMIT. This is a requirement for those who intend to visit Hungary for more than ninety days. If approved, you will be allowed entry to Hungary.
The following documents are required to apply for a residence permit:
- valid passport
- reason for entry and stay
- proof of means of transportation in coming and departing from Hungary (airplane ticket, reservation, etc.)
- medical certificate stating you are free from hazardous diseases
- proof of housing arrangement (hotel, accommodation provided by potential employer)
- proof of financial means (you could present your employment contract that is issued by a Hungarian employer)
The residence visa application costs US$95. The process normally takes a month before your visa is processed.
Hungary has a particularly confusing visa system. This information is thought to be accurate but you should verify the required permits and visas prior to going to Hungary.
TEFL English teaching job listings in Hungary
A general overview of what to expect teaching English in Hungary
Detailed living costs for teaching English in Hungary
Interviews with English Teachers in Hungary
Interview with Peter Wylde, an English teacher in Hungary
Hungary (Tourism Information Page)
Budapest, Hungary (Tourism Information Page)
Hungary News (Budapest Sun)
Hungary News (Expat Loop)
Hungary News (Budapest Times)
Hungary News (Budapest Week)
Back to Country Listings