Teach English in the United States
CITY: Freeport, New York
START DATE: Immediate Start
Small, Freeport-based, not-for-profit adult literacy organization seeks ESL teachers for a grant funded project. The purpose of the project is to impart 200 hours of English language instruction to 200 non-citizens as they prepare for the U.S. Citizenship exam.
The position involve the following schedules and salaries:
Will be the lead teacher for the project.
He/she must work a total of 40 hours per week and will be responsible for curriculum development, delivery and oversight.
He/she will teach 21 hours of instructional classes per week, will ensure that USA Learns and other pertinent software is accessible to all students, and will report all class data to in-house case managers on a weekly basis.
He/she will report directly to the Executive Director and will track outcomes of the project as it moves along.
The Lead Teacher will also work with the Executive Director to arrange for supplemental activities to maximize student success. Salary $40,000.
This position involves working a schedule that includes nights (but is only Monday-Friday).
To qualify for this position, a successful applicant:
– MUST be a NYS licensed ESL teacher (with proof of appropriate, up-to-date certifications); sorry, but we cannot accept provisional certifications or student teachers.
– MUST have some background knowledge about the U.S. Citizenship exam.
– MUST have reliable transportation and a strong work ethic.
– Familiarity with the Practitioner Toolkit: Working with Adult English Language Learners written by the National Center for Family Literacy and The National Center for ESL Literacy Education at the Center for Applied Linguistics is strongly preferred.
– Familiarity with USA Learns software strongly preferred.
– Familiarity with Citizenship Works software strongly preferred.
– Ability to use a Kindle Fire is a must.
– It would be helpful if your background involves working with adults, but this is not a requirement.
– Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
If you are interested, please e-mail a thoughtful cover letter (remember, we are a literacy organization!) along with your resume to Karen Micciche, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.