Teach English in Vietnam
CITY: Ho Chi Minh City
TEACHING POSITIONS AVAILABLE IN HCMC, VIETNAM WITH VUS!
Vietnam USA Society English Training Services Center (VUS-ETSC) is one of the largest and most respected language institutions in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and nationwide. We are currently looking for qualified native English speaking teachers to teach at our centers located throughout the growing metropolis of HCMC, Vietnam.
Offering a wide range of high quality English-language training programs designed in cooperation with the City University of New York (CUNY), VUS-ETSC has nearly 30,000 students enrolled at various campuses throughout HCMC and employs a teaching staff of just over 700 qualified Vietnamese and native English speaking teachers. All of the training centers are large scale buildings with comfortable, air-conditioned classrooms and computer labs with ADSL Internet access.
All salaries at VUS are based on qualifications, experience and your teaching performance. Teaching performance is determined by a demonstration teaching class if you are applying from within Vietnam and by a submitted lesson plan followed up with a panel interview if you are applying from outside the country. The outcome of the demo class / panel interview will help decide the initial pay offered.
The initial contract on offer would be for a 3 month, hourly rate contract with a 1 month probation period. All salaries are paid on an hourly basis and are net of taxes (VUS pays the taxes on your behalf). By law, VUS can only offer a 3 month contract to foreign hires. After you have successfully completed your work permit application, VUS can then extend your contract to 1 year.
The average schedule for a full time teacher is from 20 – 25 hours per week, averaging some 100+ hours per month. During certain times of the year a teacher’s schedule may exceed 30 contact hours per week.
The following benefits apply to all VUS teachers:
• Assistance in acquiring a work permit and reimbursement of up to $300 US upon completion of work permit application process
• Free Vietnamese language classes
• Annual awards for recognition of outstanding teaching performance, including get-aways to scenic hotspots in Vietnam
• Additional supplements for TOEFL classes, travel and some Corporate classes
In addition to the standard hourly rate teaching contract VUS also offers a full time teaching contract (FTTC) that provides the following:
• Contract completion bonus (equal to 100 hours x your hourly rate at the time of completion of your contract)
• $500 US vacation allowance
• Health insurance policy
• Free visa & visa renewals (for teachers with VUS work permits, working 80 hours per month or more)
A NOTE ABOUT WORK PERMITS FOR VIETNAM
Under Vietnamese labor law, a foreigner has to apply for and obtain a work permit in order to legally work in Vietnam and to renew business or work visas. Without a work permit, a foreigner in Vietnam will only be allowed to renew / extend their visas as a 1 month single-entry visa (in some cases as a 3 month single entry visa can be arranged) during which time it’s expected that a work permit will be applied for. If the work permit isn’t applied for during this time, then the foreign teacher may need to leave Vietnam when the visa expires.
In order to obtain a work permit the school has to submit an application on behalf of the teacher that includes the following original documents:
• University degree (BA or higher)
• Teaching certification (TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or other)
• *Police clearance certificate
(*teachers need to have a police clearance certificate from their home country if they’ve been in Vietnam for 6 months or less; teachers who have been here for 6 months or longer only need a Vietnamese police clearance certificate).
Be aware that the above documents need to be authenticated as per Vietnamese regulations. After the school has been issued your work permit, you will be paid a $300 US reimbursement fee to cover the costs associated with getting the work permit.
The successful applicant will need to be Native English speakers with:
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) with English language teaching certification (CELTA, TESOL, TEFL) or
• B.Ed / PGCE in TESOL / TEFL / Applied Linguistics
Although previous teaching experience is preferred, newly certified teachers are more than welcome to apply.
APPLYING FOR A POSITION
Interested applicants are invited to send an application package with the following included to the VUS head office:
• Updated CV / resume
• Covering letter outlining the reasons for wanting to work in HCMC and the expected arrival date
• Copy of your passport page with details and photo
• Copies of degrees/ certificates
• Any recent reference letters
To: Recruitment Managers
Ms Huyen Nguyen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Stephen Thomas: email@example.com
Vietnam USA Society English Training Service Center
Head Office: 9th Floor, 189 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: (848) 3925-9899, Ext: 232, 165
Fax: (848) 3925-9698