Teach English in India
START DATE: October 2013
SALARY: US$500/mth plus Rs10,000/mth for accommodation and expenses. This is sufficient to live comfortably. Meals provided in the monastery.
DIRECTOR OF STUDIES FOR ENGLISH PROGRAM, TIBETAN MONASTERY, NORTHERN INDIA
Dzongsar Institute, a Tibetan monastery in northern India, is seeking a qualified and experienced EFL/ESL teacher to further develop the Institute’s English program. The Director of Studies position includes:
• reviewing and refining the current syllabus, based on the Pearson Longman Cutting Edge series
• designing and implementing an assessment and reporting system to track the monks’ progress
• coaching and supporting the program’s two – three teachers; and
• teaching senior monks two hours each day, six days a week.
About Dzongsar Institute:
The monks at the Institute are following a ten-year traditional course of study in Buddhist philosophy. Around 70 monks aged 20 – 35 are studying in the Institute’s English language program. The monks range in ability from absolute beginners to intermediate level. The program aims to provide a solid start in the language to assist students to teach Buddhism in English, help with translations, manage monastery business and travel in India with more ease. The program is funded by the Khyentse Foundation.
• EFL/ESL teaching qualification
• At least two years experience teaching EFL/ESL
• Experience assisting in the administration of an EFL or ESL program
• Proven team player with teacher training experience or experience leading a small team of teachers
• Computer skills
• Native English speaker (UK, Aust, Canada, US, NZ, Sth Africa)
• A spirit of adventure, good sense of humour and flexible approach are helpful.
Interested candidates may send an application letter outlining their interest in the position, their resume and two written references to firstname.lastname@example.org.