Teach English in Thailand (Visa Requirements)

Teach English Abroad
Teach English in Thailand - Visa Requirements
Teach English in Thailand

Unlike some other countries, it is quite possible to secure a teaching position in Thailand before you enter the country, particularly if you have a resume showing previous teaching experience and good references. This can be advantageous in one respect because it is necessary to secure appropriate visas outside of Thailand. However, many teachers choose to go to Thailand first to look for a job and then  do a ‘visa-run’ to some neighboring country. The advantage of doing it this way is that you have an opportunity to size up potential employers and working conditions. There are also many employers who will hire teachers illegally, i.e. without a work visa. While this method gives a certain degree of freedom, it will be necessary to exit the country every three months in order to renew your tourist visa. Over time, this method can become quite wearing and somewhat costly.

In order to work legally in Thailand you first need to obtain a non-immigrant B visa, and you must apply for this at any Thai embassy or consulate outside of the country. For this you will need:

A copy of a letter confirming a job offer from your prospective employer.
2 passport-sized photos.
Completed and signed application visa application form.

Often, your employer will also be required to supply documents relating to their company registration. Visas can often be processed overnight, but has been known to take longer. A polite attitude and smart attire will certainly help your case.

Once you have obtained the non-immigrant B visa, you may enter the country. At this point, you will need to complete several forms, supply further photos and hand your passport to your employer who will complete the application on your behalf. Once everything has been processed, you will need to go to the Department of Labor in person to collect your work permit. You must sign the permit in the presence of an officer before it is laminated. Next you will need to make a trip to the Immigration Department where you will get the visa in your passport extended for 12 months from the day that you entered the country on your non-immigrant B visa. Finally, you will need to visit the Tax Department to get a tax card. You should always retain possession of this card, and do not surrender it to the school where you will be working as you will need it if you change jobs in the future.

More Links

Find TEFL English Teaching Jobs in Thailand

TEFL English teaching job listings in Thailand. New positions are added regularly so check back often.

Teach English in Thailand ( General Information )

A general overview of what to expect teaching English in Thailand. Read More 

Teach English in Thailand ( Cost of Living )

The cost of living in Thailand is very reasonable, particularly if you are able to adapt to a more ‘local’ lifestyle.  Read More 

Teach English in Thailand ( Visa Requirements )

Information on visa requirements to teach English in Thailand.  Read More 

Teach English in Thailand (Culture)

A good overview of the culture, customs and traditions of Thailand.  Read More 

Interview with Johnny Ward, teaching English in Thailand

After taking his CELTA training, TEFL teacher Johnny Ward, taught English in Thailand for 15 months. He shares information on finding a teaching position, living in Thailand and more in this interview.  Read More

Interview with Amanda Dorough, teaching English in Thailand.

Amanda Dorough shares here experiences working and living in Thailand. She covers everything from finding a job, quality of life and travelling around Thailand in this interview. Read More

More Information
Thailand Tourism Site
Bangkok Post (News)
The Nation (News)
Topix (News)

ThaiVisa.com Classifieds
Thailand Classifieds
Bangkok Post Classifieds

Back to Country Listings