Teach English in Taiwan (Visa Requirements)

Teach English Abroad
Teach English in Taiwan - Visa Requirements
Teach English in Taiwan

Legally, you need to have a resident visa permitting you to look for and accept jobs in Taiwan. So, it is advisable to look for work before entering the country. This will save you considerable time and hassle because your school will handle all of your paperwork and you will not have to leave the country again to get your visa status renewed.

Many people do not arrange employment in advance and just come to Taiwan on a visitors visa. Americans, Australians, British, Canadians, Irish and New Zealanders do not need a special visa to go to Taiwan. You can automatically get a visitors visa at the airport in Taiwan, allowing you to stay in the country for up to 2 weeks. If you are going to come without a work visa, it is a good idea to apply for a “landing visa” at a Taiwanese Consulate outside of Taiwan, as this will allow you to stay for 30 days or 60 days depending on the visa and your country of origin. It is technically illegal to come to the country looking for work, so do not give this as a reason for visiting Taiwan. This “landing visa” is not renewable and cannot be extended. Once you find employment, you will have to leave the country to get your resident visa validated. Your passport MUST be valid for at least six months from the date of entry.

If you still haven’t found an employer to sponsor your resident visa in the time allocated by your landing or visitor visa, it is possible to travel to a nearby country like Japan, Hong Kong or Thailand for a “visa run” to start the process over again. Be sure to go to a Taiwan consulate office in the country you visit to apply for a visa that permits a longer stay.

When arriving in Taiwan for the purpose of work, you must apply for an ARC or an Alien Resident Certificate. This must be done 15 days from the day of your arrival and must be validated by your employer. Fines are imposed for late filing. In applying for an ARC, you would need your passport with 6 months validity, work permit and 2 photos. If you plan to travel outside the country, you will also need to apply for an exit and re-entry permit before leaving Taiwan at the nearest Foreign Affairs police station.

Teach English in Taiwan (General Information)

A general overview of what to expect teaching English in Taiwan.

Find TEFL English Teaching Jobs in Taiwan

TEFL English teaching job listings in Taiwan.

Teach English in Taiwan  (Cost of Living)

Detailed living costs for teaching English in Taiwan.

Interview with English Teachers in Taiwan

Interview with Taiwan English Teacher, Tina Wu

Teach English in Taiwan Interview with Carrie Kellenberger

More Information
Taiwan (Tourism Information)
Taiwan News (Taipei Times)
Taiwan News (China Post)
Taiwan Classifieds (Jobs)
Taiwan Classifieds (Accommodations)
Taiwan Classifieds (Accommodations)
Taiwan Classifieds (Accommodations)

Back to Country Listings