Teach English in Malaysia (Visa Requirements)

Teach English Abroad
Teach English in Malaysia - Visa Requirements
Teach English in Malaysia

Strictly-speaking, applications for working visas should be made at a Malaysian Representative Office Abroad before entering the country. However, very few TEFL jobs in Malaysia are advertised internationally and employers would expect to be able to conduct an interview in person and consider your application carefully before offering you a position. The chances of you being able to secure a teaching post from outside the country are extremely low.

Fortunately, citizens of the U.S., Canada, Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are able to enter the country on a ‘Social Visit Pass’ (SVP) that allows you to stay in Malaysia for up to three months, provided they have a return air ticket. This should be ample time to find a job, but converting your visa from an SVP to an Employment Pass, while fairly straightforward, can be a time-consuming process. Expect all the immigration formalities to take a minimum of eight weeks, depending upon the diligence of your employer, who will be expected to complete most of the paperwork.

While your visa is being processed you may leave and reenter Malaysia on your SVP without any special permission. You are not, however, entitled to engage in any paid employment in Malaysia during this period. If the Employment Pass application extends beyond the three months stay allowed by your SVP it will be necessary to leave the country and reenter through Singapore or Thailand.

The following documents are required in order to apply for an Employment Pass:
Resume, with photo.
Original education certificates, and copies.
Passport, and copies of relevant pages
Original civil marriage certificate, if applicable.
Original birth certificates of all accompanying children, if applicable.
Two passport-size photographs of the employee and each family member
Application forms.
Please note that the Malaysian Immigration Department and/or Malaysian Consulates reserve the right to request additional information and/or documentation.

In order for your application to be successful, you should be in possession of a first degree, a recognized TESOL qualification and have at least two years teaching experience. You should also choose youremployer carefully, as it can be difficult to change jobs within the term of your Employment Pass. Technically, you would need to leave the country for six months, although there are ways around this, with a little perseverance.

More Links

Find TEFL English Teaching Jobs in  Malaysia

TEFL English teaching job listings in Malaysia

Teach English in Malaysia (General Information)

A general overview of what to expect teaching English in Malaysia

Teach English in Malaysia (Cost of Living)

Detailed living costs for teaching English in Malaysia

More Information
Malaysia Visa Information Page
Malaysia Guide
Malaysia Tourism Page

Malaysia News (The Star)
Malaysia News (NST)
Malaysia News (The Sun Daily)
Malaysia News (Bulletin Malaysia)
Malaysia News (The Borneo Post)
Malaysia Classifieds (jobs)
Malaysia Classifieds (jobs)
Malaysia Classifieds (jobs)

Back to Country Listings