Teach English in Argentina (Visa Requirements)

Teach English Abroad
Teach English in Argentina - Visa Requirements
Teach English in Argentina

It’s often possible to find teaching positions and be hired before entering Argentina. However if you wish to go there directly to search for a job, or simply check out the lifestyle, citizens from the USA, UK, Canada and Australia may enter the country without a tourist visa and stay for up to 90 days. They are also permitted to engage in paid employment during this period. Citizens of New Zealand and South Africa, and 28 other countries, may stay for up to 30 days without a tourist visa.

For longer periods, you must apply for a work permit. The first stage in this process is to obtain an entry permit (Permiso de Ingreso) from the Argentine Immigration Authority. Normally, your prospective employer will act as your representative in this matter, and will submit the relevant documents on your behalf. This usually takes around one month to process if you are based in Argentina, but can take up to 4 months when submitted through a consulate in your home country.

While the application for an entry permit is being processed, you should expect to receive your employment contract. The contract should detail all the terms and conditions of your employment and should include a statement from your employer confirming that the contact is in compliance with the Labor Laws of Argentina. The contract does not become binding until such time as the employee has been fully authorized to work by the Argentine immigration authority. It is necessary for the employer’s signature to be certified by a notary public in Argentina and authenticated by the “Colegio de Escribanos”. The employee’s signature must be witnessed by the Argentine immigration authority, or by a Consul in your home country.

Once your entry permit has been issued, you may apply for a work visa, for which you will need the following documents:

  • Passport: valid for a minimum of 1 year.
  • A completed visa application form.
  • 6 recent passport-size photos.
  • Entry Permit (Permiso de Ingreso).
  • Contract Of Employment.
  • Birth certificate.
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable).
  • No national/international criminal records affidavit.
  • Fees (paid in money orders).

The visa is renewable and good for 9 months. However, it is also tied to your employer. Should you wish to change jobs, it will be necessary to apply for a new visa. Your work visa would also serve as your temporary residence permit. Applying for a permanent residence permit is possible after the third renewal of your work visa, and requires a petition from your visa lawyer. The whole process can be somewhat long and tedious but, once granted, is effectively the equivalent of a ‘green card’, allowing you to come and go, and change jobs as you please.

More Links

Teach English in Argentina (General Information)

A general overview of what to expect teaching English in Argentina

Teach English in Argentina (Cost of Living)

Detailed living costs for teaching English in  Argentina

More Information
Official Visa Information Page
More Visa Information
Official Website of Argentina
More Information on Argentina
Official Tourism Page
Argentina Tourism Page
More Information on Tourism
All About Argentina
Argentina Tourist Information
Argentina News
Argentina News (Buenos Aires Times)
Argentina News (Buenos Aires Herald)
Argentina News (Invertir)

Back to Country Listings